Fun & Fit Friday is a new weekly feature we’re adding to Almost Granola for 2017. We are planning to be even more active than we were last year and this will be where we share our adventures (and misadventures). This week, let’s talk about yoga.
Why yoga and not the gym? Honestly, if you have the money and time to hit the gym – please do so! For those of us who can’t (or who want to add something extra), there’s yoga.
Here’s why it’s perfect for right now:
- It’s January and it’s cold outside. Get active without leaving your house (or pajamas, if you must)!
- It’s free
- It helps calm the body AND the mind
- It’s strength-training without the weights
- The whole family can do it
- It’s a gentle way for moms to recover from birth (or, in my case, births!)
Some people can afford a membership to a yoga studio and may even have time to go (haha!) but most of us, especially in those early stages, don’t have that luxury. How, then, can you get your yoga on without breaking the bank? Here are some ways:
If I had a dollar for every awesome yoga video I’ve found on YouTube over the past two years, I’d be able to buy a few apples at Whole Foods! I kid, I kid but in all seriousness, this is a great resource. Some of my favorites are:
- Tonic prenatal videos – Start with Episode 1
- Reikos Yoga Room (also has great pre and postnatal vids!)
- Yoga with Adriene (super popular!)
You will have to pay for some of these but, if it’s less than $5, I’d say it’s worth it. Could be cheaper than a trip to Starbucks!
- Yoga Studio ($3.99)
- Daily Yoga
- Down Dog
- Global Yoga Academy
Honestly, you could get away with never buying a thing for your yoga practice but most people like having a few of the following items:
- Mat (for cushioning the floor)
- Yoga block (especially helpful in the early stages of practice)
- Straps (helpful as you improve flexibility)
I’ve tried to keep up with yoga, even if it’s just a few minutes a day, through my pregnancies but it got hard towards the end of the last one when I was expecting twins. Here is a picture of me with Benji and Oliver in my belly around 20 weeks. I used the yoga block between my knees to fight Symphysis Pubis Disorder.